News:

SCBWI members — be sure to login regularly to SCBWI's main site to take full advantage of your membership. https://www.scbwi.org/

Main Menu
SCBWI welcomes you to their "new" Discussion Boards. Everyone interested in children's literature is encouraged to join and participate in ongoing discussions. Play nice, have fun, and enjoy sharing with your peers from around the world.

NEED HELP POSTING? Go here! https://www.scbwidiscussionboards.org/index.php?topic=80554.msg1011631#msg1011631

Started inquiring my first book dummy.

Started by corlette-douglas, January 16, 2024, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corlette-douglas

Hello

This month I started inquiring two of my manuscripts to agents and haven't gotten too much feedback from them. 

Some agents have said that the story wasn't a right fit for them while others stated it's not a good fit for

their list.  Does this mean I step back rework my stories or that I need to find the right agent for my book

especially because the feedback seems to be the same every time ?

David Wright

That's a common generic response.

Whether it's not a good fit or that it needs work to make it more sellable is impossible for me to say. What feedback have you received from other PB writers or PB critique groups?

I assume you are the author/illustrator. Are you submitting both?

Debbie Vilardi

This is why querying often feels to impossible. We send our work and get what amounts to know reply. If you have had your work critiqued and everyone feels it's ready, keep submitting. There are works that get rejected ten or more times and then are picked up. Others get rejected everywhere and shelved for ten years and then find a home on resubmission. The industry is subjective and tastes change over time.

If your work hasn't been critiqued, that's you next step. Even if it has, new eyes may help you see what isn't working. But consider it could be the query and not the manuscript.

Good luck.
Twitter: @dvilardi1

corlette-douglas

Thank you for the help everyone. I wasn't too sure about the replies I was getting if it was that my story was too plan or if it was bad.  Yes I'm trying to go for both illustrator and writer at the moment, I have a illustration portfolio up but over a few month I would like to make some changes to it and improve even more on my drawing skills.  I've done a writing/critique group for one of the stories where the head writer of the class said it was good enough to pass off.  But I'll keep submitting and find another group too look it over.

JodyJS

You can see if a critique group on this board is looking for another critique member...
Starred Review, School Library Journal
NSTA Outstanding Science Trade Book for 2024
Oklahoma's Donna Norvell Masterlist 2025

Having trouble registering? Does something on the board not work correctly? If so, use the Contact button at the top of the page and we will get back to you. Note: questions about writing, publishing, or "how to post" are NOT answered through the Contact button. If you are registered, scroll the Home page to find categories where you can post. Only registered members can post.