News:

SCBWI members who are NEW to the Discussion Boards as of June 2023 must REGISTER. If you had an existing account BEFORE June 1, do not re-register.

Main Menu
SCBWI welcomes you to their "new" Discussion Boards. Everyone interested in children's literature is encouraged to join and participate in ongoing discussions. Play nice, have fun, and enjoy sharing with your peers from around the world.

NEED HELP POSTING? Go here! https://www.scbwidiscussionboards.org/index.php?topic=80554.msg1011631#msg1011631

Greetings All! (Retired and Writing)

Started by Rodney B Wirthlin, September 05, 2023, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney B Wirthlin

Greetings All

A coworkers daughter linked me to this site to help me with my books. I am glad she did.

One of my favorite authors is H.P Lovecraft. Parents and grandparents like me who love horror stories want to share them with their children and grandchildren but the stories are too intense for kids.

I believe my Anthony and Grandpa series is a great solution to this predicament. In the individual books, Anthony and his Grandpa travel in Grandpa's magical recliner to distant locations to meet individual monsters and cryptids. While there, the friendly monsters talk to Anthony and Grandpa about themselves. When they part ways, Anthony and Grandpa fly home in the magical recliner.

To date I have rough drafts of, "Anthony and Grandpa Meet A Vampire", "Anthony and Grandpa Meet A Werewolf", "Anthony and Grandpa Meet an Alien", "Anthony and Grandpa Meet Bigfoot", "Anthony and Grandpa Meet Mothman" and "Anthony and Grandpa Meet a Werewolf". I have plans for about 10 more books. These books are intended to be picture books but I lack the ability to illustrate these books. My stick figures look like they were drawn by stick figures. Each book is under 300 words. The books are designed to be read by parents, to their children, ages four-eight years. I created these books as a means of further bonding with my own grandsons. The two main characters in these story are based upon my grandson and myself, after my grandson, Anthony asked me about Bigfoot one day at the library.

I look forward to meet and talking with all of you.

Thanks.

Debbie Vilardi

Welcome, Rodney. This sounds fun. Are you aware that there are horror picture books on the market? Do a Google search or talk with your children's librarian, if you have one. You should be aware that the market is there for these books and get examples of exactly how scary you can go for the age group. Plus some of these are just fantastic.
Twitter: @dvilardi1

dewsanddamps

:welcome2 Hi, Rodney! Glad you found us. Your books sound fun. As Debbie said, it would be a good idea to look at comp (comparable) titles and get a feel for where your books fall in the market. You might especially look at word count. I'm not a PB writer, so grain of salt and all that, but 400 words seems short for a book for kids in elementary school.
 :goodluck
Learning to Swear in America, 2016
What Goes Up, 2017
The Constitution Decoded, 2020
The Presidents Decoded, 2023
Hearts on Thin Ice, 2024

Ree

www.reeaugustine.com
HANGABOUT, FAR FROM HOME, Orange Blossom Publishing, August 2023.

Ev

Welcome, Rodney! Glad to have you with us. :partytime  Your books sound like something kids would enjoy. Debbie has good advice.

And don't worry about illustrations if you're planning to try to get the books traditionally published. The publishers like to choose the illustrators for the books they publish.

Pons

Welcome, Anthony! I love the idea of a magical recliner.  :star2

Rodney B Wirthlin

Is there a forum that is better suited to post my first book for others to review, offer advise and find a illustrator?

My wife has suggest I drop the recommended age for the book. 

Debbie Vilardi

Yes. We have a critique area. https://www.scbwidiscussionboards.org/index.php?board=121.0. Please do read the stickies for instructions for the area first. I'll keep an eye out for your work.
Twitter: @dvilardi1

christripp

"offer advise and find a illustrator"

And for Self Publishing (sounds like that's the path you are interested in taking, mentioning hiring an Illustrator)
check out https://www.scbwidiscussionboards.org/index.php?board=95.0
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Tori

Welcome, Rodney! You'll find the help you need here!
Aloha,
Tori :pizza :palmtree :books3
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Having trouble registering? Does something on the board not work correctly? If so, use the Contact button at the top of the page and we will get back to you. Note: questions about writing, publishing, or "how to post" are NOT answered through the Contact button. If you are registered, scroll the Home page to find categories where you can post. Only registered members can post.