News:

NOTICE! The Contact button is for: (1) unregistered people having registration issues ONLY, OR (2) Registered Members who have encountered a problem in an area of the board. Questions about writing, publishing, or how to post that come through the Contact button will not be addressed.

Main Menu
SCBWI welcomes you to their "new" Discussion Boards. Everyone interested in children's literature is encouraged to join and participate in ongoing discussions. Play nice, have fun, and enjoy sharing with your peers from around the world.

NEED HELP POSTING? Go here! https://www.scbwidiscussionboards.org/index.php?topic=80554.msg1011631#msg1011631

Hello from Washington!

Started by AbbyDabi, February 02, 2024, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbyDabi

Hi everybody! My name is Abby, I am currently a sophomore student at Western Washington University majoring in WGSS and minoring in Creative Writing. I am hoping that by joining SCBWI and interacting here, I will be able to connect with people more knowledgeable about writing children's books, connect with a literary agent, and gain more understanding about the world of children's lit publishing. Some things about me are that I currently work part time at a thrift store in the books and media department, which is a absolute blast. My favorite animals are ladybug's, deer, snail's, owl's, and hyena's. I collect snoopy memorabilia, sticker's, pin's, all sorts of things lol. My dream job is to create childrens books, maybe even illustrate a few, that are inclusive, imaginative, informative, and most of all, loveable & re-readable to people and children of all types. That's all I got to say for now, excited to meet you all!

:snoopy  :butterflies  :bunny2
abby B 🐞

Debbie Vilardi

Welcome!

You've come to the right place for learning about the industry. You won't find agents here, but you can learn how to reach out to them when you're ready and you can follow them on social media too.

I used to watch snails climb up the side of the concrete steps at my house growing up. I think all the animals you mentioned are in my yard regularly except hyenas and, of course, Snoopy. (I've never seen an owl, but my neighbor has owl a bat habitats and I've heard an owl.)
Twitter: @dvilardi1

AbbyDabi

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for letting me know about the agent thing, learning about reaching out is still super important and great, and I'm still super glad to be here!

snails are such amazing little rock-jocks haha. I hope you get to see a owl soon, they are such funny looking wise folk.
abby B 🐞

JodyJS

Starred Review, School Library Journal
NSTA Outstanding Science Trade Book for 2024

RebeccaL-G

Welcome, Abby. If you're new to SCBWI, be sure to find your local region, click the button to follow it, check out their events, and send an email to the Regional Advisor to introduce yourself. That's a great way to find out what's going on and meet other local writers. Here's a link to find your region https://www.scbwi.org/regions
Rebecca Langston-George
www.rebeccalangston-george.com

dewsanddamps

Learning to Swear in America, 2016
What Goes Up, 2017
The Constitution Decoded, 2020
The Presidents Decoded, 2023
Hearts on Thin Ice, 2024

Ev

:welcome2 Abby! We're glad you found us. Wishing you the best with your school work and also your writing/illustrating.

AbbyDabi

abby B 🐞

AbbyDabi

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for this helpful information! I will definitely be interested in the events of my region and introducing myself to the regional advisor :D
abby B 🐞

AbbyDabi

abby B 🐞

AbbyDabi

Thank you Evelyn! I can use all the well wishes I can get lol, school can be hard
abby B 🐞

Ree

www.reeaugustine.com
HANGABOUT, FAR FROM HOME, Orange Blossom Publishing, August 2023.

Tori

Welcome! Your enthusiasm sparkles off the page!
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree :pizza :books3
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Sue Ford

SCBWI offers lots of helpful webinars. Check them out.
Sue Ford
writing for children as Susan Uhlig
https//:susanuhlig.com
twitter @susanuhlig

Jennylynnpease

Hi Abby! I hope you have a wonderful time here! Best of luck with your writing!

Having trouble registering? Does something on the board not work correctly? If so, use the Contact button at the top of the page and we will get back to you. Note: questions about writing, publishing, or "how to post" are NOT answered through the Contact button. If you are registered, scroll the Home page to find categories where you can post. Only registered members can post.