SCBWI members — be sure to login regularly to SCBWI's main site to take full advantage of your membership.

Main Menu
SCBWI welcomes you to their "new" Discussion Boards. Everyone interested in children's literature is encouraged to join and participate in ongoing discussions. Play nice, have fun, and enjoy sharing with your peers from around the world.


Help needed with Japanese visa/tax information while writing as a dependent.

Started by M Z Medina, June 13, 2016, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

M Z Medina

Hello, everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has experience or tips about selling stories as a dependent (in reference to working visa-related issues as well as taxes).
For example: Should I apply for the dependent part-time job permit even if I don't have any sales just in case? Would I need to fill in my taxes even if I earn as low as $50 in a whole year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Twitter: @KeepD


Ooofff, I don't know. The two years we lived in Belgium, our taxes were highly complicated with me being paid in German DM and my husband in Belgium but with USD. We hired an accountant for those two years.

My gut feeling is that for small amounts, you wouldn't need to worry about it, because it wouldn't change the status (tax bracket). You should still declare it of course, and the publisher will send you a form that you'd need to fill out and they will send to the IRS.

I hope others living outside the US will be able to guide you better.
Good luck, Vijaya
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags

M Z Medina

Thank you! =D I wish these kind of things were less confusing...

Twitter: @KeepD


Hi Maria,
I think you should consult accountants about this--both specific to the country you are in now, and your home country. But since this is also visa related, you might also speak with someone at your home country's embassy where you are located.
Good luck!
Holly Thompson
Holly Thompson
SCBWI Japan Regional Advisor
Editor, SCBWI Guide to International School Visits

M Z Medina

Thank you! I was hoping someone in these Japan forums would know =)  I've searched and wasn't able to come up with anything specific.

Twitter: @KeepD


Maria, maybe if you'd retitle your thread something along the lines of Help needed with tax filing status in Japan you'd get some advice. Also, you could put this on the regular board, because I know for sure we have some folks who are now, or who have recently been, writing while living in Japan.

M Z Medina

Oh, I posted this under the Japan board so I assumed it would be obvious. My bad! I'll do as you say.

Twitter: @KeepD

Having trouble registering? Does something on the board not work correctly? If so, use the Contact button at the top of the page and we will get back to you. Note: questions about writing, publishing, or "how to post" are NOT answered through the Contact button. If you are registered, scroll the Home page to find categories where you can post. Only registered members can post.